Wednesday 7 November 2007

On Honesty and Authenticity...



hon·est
[on-ist]
–adjective
1.honorable in principles, intentions, and actions; upright and fair: an honest person.
2.showing uprightness and fairness: honest dealings.
3.gained or obtained fairly: honest wealth.
4.sincere; frank: an honest face.
5.genuine or unadulterated: honest commodities.
6.respectable; having a good reputation: an honest name.
7.truthful or creditable: honest weights.
8.humble, plain, or unadorned.


au·then·tic
–adjective
1.not false or copied; genuine; real: an authentic antique.
2.having the origin supported by unquestionable evidence; authenticated; verified: an authentic document of the Middle Ages; an authentic work of the old master.
3.entitled to acceptance or belief because of agreement with known facts or experience; reliable; trustworthy: an authentic report on poverty in Africa.

The more I think about this, the more I realise the importance of honesty and authenticity. Not so much to others but as to myself. I realise the cosmic irony of what I am, is what I'll get.

Remember the old adage if you live by the sword, you'll die by the sword? Well it works both ways.

Now, I'm not trying to change myself whatsoever, it's more a case of accentuating the positives and ironing out the negatives.

''Surely you know the difference between changing yourself and improving yourself? Going to the gym to lift weights dressed as a clown would be ''improving yourself''' whilst not being who you are. Whereas simply going to the gym is just improving yourself.''

''Vicarious existence is a fucking waste of time'' -Axl Rose

I realise in the presence of others I don't offer as much value as I could, I could offer more in the way of attractiveness at times.

The thing is, it's all about the improving yourself first, so your happy with yourself. The irony of it is I suppose, only when you're truly happy with YOURSELF, are you probably going to find the hot babes are happy with you too.

However, as I have said before, trying to make yourself happy, to make others happy is pretty much an exaggerated form of supplication.

It's as much about the mindset, and where you're coming from within.

Like I said the other day, it is ABSOLUTLEY primary that your own happiness comes first.

Like your mother says, be yourself. It's lethal.

Okay, off for my daily dose of Hemingway.

-Michael

No comments: