Saturday 8 December 2007

On self belief, confidence and living your life your own way...

Invictus
OUT of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.
In the fell clutch of circumstance 5
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade, 10
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate: 15
I am the captain of my soul.


This reminds me of the James Allen quote: "'Circumstances do not make a man; they reveal him.' The sobering aspect of this is that we have no-one to blame for our problems but ourselves. On the other hand, this means our possibilities are limitless."

We are entirely responsible for ourselves. This is the most empowering thing I think I've ever heard. I have complete power over my life. My circumstances. I can achieve anything as long as I take responsibility.

Another great related quote is ''There are no such things as limiting beliefs. The only limiting belief is believing there are such things as limiting beliefs.'' Which is a loose paraphase, but very very true.

With so many people in the world who will put you down at every concievable opportunity, why would you possibly want to impose a disempowering identity upon yourself?

The key phrase being 'impose' as in, it's all fucking ego bullshit. It's an egoitic world, you create the story of who you are. Really, as long as you're aware of your ego that's enough. So if you're going to create a story of who you are, you may as well select a particuarly empowering one.


Now, I'm not suggesting here that you go lying or deluding yourself. Not at all, personally I have chosen a gradual path of self-improvement. I live my life my own way and do the things that make me happy with out concerning myself with the opinions of others.

''It doesn't matter what other people think, it's none of your business''

Indeed.

I'm in control of my destiny. Are you?

-
Michael

No comments: