Tuesday 16 October 2007

Review: Women by Charles Bukowski

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


This is one of the best books I've ever read. It's the story of Bukowski's literary alter-ego Hank Chinaski, who after a life-time of working menial jobs and drifting, in his fifties has became a poet, gets drunk all of the time and goes on a fuck women rampage.

Almost impossible to put down, for all of Chinaski's insecurity and self doubt he certainly draws you into his reality.

I for one could see why women would want to bang him, his honesty and raw authenticity in an age of pretty much total and utter complete bullshit are a powerful and potent weapon. Wow.

I think this is the same reason so many people love Bukowski, not just women. He's real, and you can identify with him at your core. He puts himself out there on the line. He's fucking hella funny aswell.

Generally what I find when I read a book is, if the book is shit but I learn ONE decent thing it was worth it. This book, didn't so much teach me anything, it just reaffirmed and put into words things I already know. That's why I love it.

Five stars.

-M

No comments: