Sunday 8 February 2009

Mind Control, Brainwashing, Stupidity in Football and New Goals

I'm slightly disconcerted about how irrational people are becoming. It seems to me, that people are completely incapable of making common-sense decisions these days. Examples are present just about everywhere. In football, it was the Chelsea supporters. Chelsea are a team that had underachieved for their entire history, they had a few successful seasons under the brilliant Jose Mourinho, and reached the Champions League final last season. Fair play. Now they're managed by Luis Felipe Scolari, a man who coached one of the most underachieving Brazil sides of the past 50 years to World Cup champions, and did wonders with the Portuguese national side who are also perennial under-achievers. Now, woe betide, Chelsea slip to fourth in the league, and they want this man sacked. Even more bizarre is who they want Scolari to be replaced with:

Gianfranco Zola who has only been in his first major managerial job for I believe 4 months and Roberto Di Matteo who - fair play- to him has done well for MK Dons, but there's a BIG difference between League Two or whatever they're in, and the level Chelsea are at. It's actually absurd.

Tonight, Tony Adams was the latest gent to be sacked. I'm actually quite sickened by this, and feel sorry for him. At the end of the day, if he's going to get sacked, the board who appointed him, should sack themselves too. Tony Adams was relatively inexperienced going into the job. I don't think it's fair to the lad, to appoint him expecting an instant turn-around, and miracles, to fill the boots of a fella with over twenty years worth of experience. This is unrealistic to say the least. They should have either appointed him, knowing that he'd need some time to get used to the position. Or even better - appointed someone with a proving track record. If I was on the Portsmouth board, I would sack myself for having such poor judgement.

Apart from that, another thing that annoys me about football is the huge levels of consumerism that are creeping into the game. I don't like how the commentators try to make the games more exciting than they actually are. It's like brainwashing to make you watch more of it. The English league is BYYY FARRR THE BEST LEAGUE IN THE WORLD. The standard's half decent yes, but I tend to think, they'd probably say the same thing about La Liga if they had 75% of the broadcasting rights. I don't have to be told how good something is. I can make up my own mind. This kind of thing is present everywhere.

It reminds me of advertising and I really dislike advertising, as it's soulless and much the same. The adverts coerce you into believing you need something, as far as I'm concerned, if I actually *needed* something, I'm sure I'd be able to find it myself.

People would have you believe you have to have an expensive gym membership to keep fit or in any kind of shape, and you have to take the expensive supplements to gain muscles or lose weight.

You can get muscular (or slim) by just doing press-ups, squats, lunges, sit-ups and what not in the comfort of your own home, running around and eating healthy.

That's another thing, there seems to be a lot of debate over what is healthy and what is not. Well, that's just silly. Healthy foods are the ones that are natural, a dead chicken is full of protein and any vegetable that came out of the ground or any fruit that is in its natural form they're full of good carbohydrates. Nuts are healthy, and they're full of protein for your muscles and good fats for your joints. Simple. Drink plenty of water and you're good to go.

My short-term goals:
Read: The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand
Read: Ranulph Fiennes' book and apply
Be healthier :p
Be more positive

No comments: